Nutrient digestion and body weight gain of Balinese cows getting basic ration of spear grass and rosewood leaves supplemented with falcata tree leaves

  • Stefanus Sio Faculty of Agricultural, University of Timor
  • Hilarius Yosep Sikone Faculty of Agricultural, University of Timor
  • Charles Asar Usboko Faculty of Agricultural, University of Timor
Keywords: Balinese cows, Digestion, Rosewood leaves, Falcata tree leaves, Speargrass

Abstract

A study had been conducted to find out nutrient digestion and body weight gain of Balinese cows getting a basic ration of spear grass and Rosewood leaves supplemented with Falcata tree leaves. The study was using complete randomized block design with 4 ration treatments and 3 times repetition. Each repetition was using three Balinese cows. The weights of cows being used were in the range of 83-181 kg. Basic ration being given was arranged based on the percentage of dry ingredients namely: 80% of spear grass + 20% of rosewood leaves (A), 80% of spear grass + 20% of rosewood leaves + 10% of falcata tree leaves (B), 80% of spear grass + 20% of rosewood leaves + 15% of falcata tree leaves (C), and  80% of spear grass + 20% of rosewood leaves + 20% of falcata tree leaves (D), The variables being measured were: nutrient digestion and body weight gain. The result of the study showed that with the administration of 20% falcata tree leaves in the basic ration, it differed significantly (P<0.05) in increasing nutrient digestion and daily weight gain. The result of the study concluded that with the administration of falcata tree leaves in the basic ration of spear grass and rosewood leaves capable to increase nutrient digestion so that bacteria would optimally increase the utilization of fodder and led to a high weight gain of Balinese cows. 

References

Cakra, I. G. L. O. (2013). The role of lime urea in concentrate containing cassava toward rumen’s performance and growth of Etawah crossbreed goat. Dissertation. Denpasar. Post graduate program of Udayana University.

Calabro, S. R. (1962). Reliability principles and practices. McGraw-Hill.

Cattle, G. O. B. Protein And Energy Requirement For Maintenance.

Dewi, N. N. A., & Mustika, I. W. (2018). Nutrition Content and Antioxidant Activity of Black Garlic. International Journal of Health Sciences (IJHS), 2(1), 11-20.

Kearl, L. C. (1982). Nutrient requirements of ruminants in developing countries. International Feedstuffs Institute.

Leburaya, F. (2012). Implication of Climate change toward management of regional development. National – international seminar, Dies Natalis X, Timor University, at Kefamenanu, January 21st 2012.

Mariani, N. P. (2013). Response of Balinese ox toward administration of ration with different protein and energy and its relationship with protein and energy requirements. Dissertation. Denpasar : Post graduate program of Udayana University.

Ogu, G. I., & Orjiakor, P. I. (2017). Microbiological and Nutritional Qualities of Fermented Melon Seed Shells. International Journal of Life Sciences (IJLS), 1(2), 1-9.

Oka, I. G. L., Suyadnya, I. P., Putra S., Suarna, I. M., Suparta, I. N. (2012). Balinese cows as genuine Indonesian genetic resources. Center of Study for Balinese cows, Udayana University. Udayana University Press. Denpasar.

Parakkasi, A. (1999). Ilmu nutrisi dan makanan ternak ruminan. Penerbit Universitas Indonesia, Jakarta.

Saxena, A. (2017). The Impact of Nutrition on the Overall Quality of Life Adolescent Girls are Living Across the City of Kota. International Journal of Life Sciences (IJLS), 1(1), 40-48.

Sio, S. (2016). Usage of stewed water of Indian ash tree peel (Lannea coromandelica) to increase the growth of Balinese ox. Dissertation. Post graduate program, Udayana University, Denpasar, Bali.

Stefanus, S., Mahardika, I. G., Partama, I. B. G., & Suryani, N. N. Rumen Metabolite of Balinese Cows that Being Given Stewed Water of Lannea coromandelica Peel as Feed Additive. Journal of College and University. This is an open access article under the, 2454, 2261.

Published
2018-05-02
How to Cite
Sio, S., Sikone, H. Y., & Usboko, C. A. (2018). Nutrient digestion and body weight gain of Balinese cows getting basic ration of spear grass and rosewood leaves supplemented with falcata tree leaves. International Journal of Life Sciences, 2(2), 1-11. https://doi.org/10.29332/ijls.v2n2.114
Section
Articles